I’ve been feeling a bit run down lately with a sore throat, tiredness..like a cold is setting on, I think you know the feeling.
I was in need of some good, comforting, hot, soothing soup- and that is just what I made last night! I tried something new that I’ve never made before, a mushroom soup!
I just love mushrooms, and it turned out absolutely delicious, I had to share my recipe with you!! It’s gluten-free & vegan by the way~
- 1 smaller package of white button mushrooms (about 5 oz) sliced or diced to whatever size you want
- 1 large package of shiitake mushrooms (about 10 oz) sliced
- 1 smaller package of oyster mushrooms (about 5 oz) sliced
*Note: you can use whatever mushrooms you like and you can cut them as big or small as you like*
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 10 stalks of fresh thyme, stems removed (keep some extra for garnishing later!)
- 1 cup of organic vegetable broth
- 2 big cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs of corn flour (or you can use tapioca flour)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup of soy milk (unsweetened)
** note: if you want to just use one of these kinds of milk, you can, just add one full cup of whatever you choose**
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 tbs liquid aminos (Gluten-free) (or soy sauce)
- freshly ground pepper
1. In a large frying pan over medium heat, fry the diced onions and minced garlic, until they become translucent (about 5-7 minutes)
2. remove the onions into a bowl on the side
3. add the mushrooms into the frying pan and cook them for 5 minutes uncovered
4. The juice of the mushrooms will start to come out, making them look so tasty and smell amazing! My stomach was really grumbling at this point!
5. pour the mushrooms (including all the mushroom juice), and the onions into a large soup pot, add the fresh thyme and cook it together for another 10 minutes
6. The mushroom size will really reduce at this point and the juice/water would have evaporated. Add the bay leaf and the liquid aminos (or soy sauce) to the pot.
7. stir the corn flour into the vegetable broth and mix well
8. Add the vegetable broth mix and the soy milk/almond milk to the pot
9. Allow it to cook 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly
10. When it’s all cooked, pour some soup into a bowl, add some freshly cracked black pepper, and a fresh sprig of thyme on top! optional: you could also add some vegan cheese!
The earthy peppery mushrooms paired so well with the creamy soup broth, slightly sweet onions, and herby thyme!
Definitely satisfied my soup craving in a delicious, healthy way!
Low in fat, low in calories, no animal products, gluten-free, but packed with flavour!
Try it out for yourself and let me know how you like it
#LookTay it on social media!
Love you so much! Thanks for reading!