It’s hot out there today Hong Kong.. DRINK MORE WATER!!
Water constitutes 50-70% of our body. There is more in males than females, as lean muscle tissue (more in males) contains 73% water, and fat (more in females) contains 10-20%. We have it mostly in our blood, brain and bones.
Functions of Water:
- Temperature regulation
- Removes waste products (urine & liver metabolism)
- Forms lubricants (found in knees & other joints)
- Forms secretions (in saliva, gastric acid, bile)
- A medium for transporting materials in body
Comes from an excessive loss of fluid from the body (vomiting, diarrhea, sweating), or lack of intake of fluids. It can lead to fatal shock, acidosis, and accumulation of waste products in the body. Without enough fluids when exercising; the muscles will loose strength and endurance, heat tolerance decreases, and you can even go into a coma in severe cases.
When exercising… drink enough fluid to replenish your loss. If you are only working out for an hour or so, you only need water not a sports drink. Sports drinks contain a lot of calories, sugar and electrolytes. They are more applicable to athletes training more than 90 minutes. If you workout for an hour, and have a sports drink you may be wasting the calories you burn. The rule of thumb is to weigh yourself before a workout and after. If after you loose 1-2 pounds (this would be the water weight you lost while sweating) you are dehydrated, so you need to drink more water.
Health and Beauty Benefits of Water:
- Clear acne: it helps to rid the body of toxins and hydrates you. When your skin is dry it will produce more oil to compensate, this may lead to acne.
- Makes you more awake/alert
- Smoothes lines: wrinkles/fines lines are less noticeable when the skin cells are well hydrated
- Add radiance: hydrating makes the skin more luminous
- Improves your sleep
- Reduces anxiety
- Increased energy
- Bright, clear eyes
Beauty Benefits of Cold Water:
Skin: I wash my face every morning with cold water. This will tighten your pores and give your skin a fresher look.
Hair: Hairdressers say that rinsing your hair with cool water leaves it shinier and glossier